Skip to main content

Insurance FAQs

About the insurance

What insurance is included in Axis membership?

Our Professional and Associate membership both include complimentary access to Public and Product Liability insurance, Professional Indemnity insurance, and a free legal helpline. This is designed for UK-based artists, makers, and art professionals. Please note that we are not selling insurance; it is provided as a benefit of your membership.

Who are the insurers?

The primary policy is underwritten by Hiscox Ltd and Allianz. Axis is the policy holder, and Axis members are covered under this policy (subject to eligibility).

What does the policy include?
  • Public and Product Liability Insurance: £10 million cover across the UK and EU. Excess: £250 per claim.
  • Professional Indemnity Insurance: £5 million cover worldwide (excluding claims brought in the USA and Canada). Excess: £250 per claim.
  • Free legal helpline: Provides advice on employment, prosecutions, discrimination, and health and safety.
Who is eligible for the insurance?

The insurance covers individual artists, makers, and art professionals based in the UK. It does not cover businesses (unless you're a sole trader with no employees), groups, or organisations. By signing up for Axis membership, you confirm that you define yourself as an artist, maker, art professional, or creative practitioner working in the field of visual arts. An artist or maker is someone who creates visual artworks, crafts, or engages in creative practices such as painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, sound, performance, live art, ceramics, glass making, metalwork, animation, woodwork, graphics, jewellery, illustration, book work, architecture, mixed media, and installation.

How much does the insurance cost?

The insurance is provided as a complimentary benefit of your membership.

  • Professional membership (by application only): £45 per year or £4.50 per month.
  • Associate membership: £25 per year or £2.50 per month.
How long does the insurance last?

Subject to your eligibility, payment, and activation, the policy is effective from the date you sign up and until you cancel your membership or it expires, or until Axis no longer offers it as a benefit of membership.

What activities does the insurance cover?

The insurance covers a wide range of activities related to an artist's practice, including:

  • Fine art
  • Painting
  • Drawing
  • Sculpture
  • Printmaking
  • Lens-based art
  • Photography
  • Sound
  • Performance
  • Live art
  • Craft
  • Ceramics
  • Glass making
  • Metalwork
  • Animation
  • Woodwork
  • Graphics
  • Jewellery
  • Illustration
  • Book work
  • Architecture
  • Mixed media
  • Installation
Other general activities covered include:
  • Exhibitions
  • Events (including art/craft fairs)
  • Commissions
  • Socially engaged art
  • Participatory projects
  • Performances
  • Public art
  • Project management
  • Education
  • Workshops/talks
  • Studio practice
  • Residencies
  • Research
What is Public Liability insurance?

Public Liability insurance covers you against claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection with your artistic activities. This includes injuries to visitors, clients, or contractors as a result of your work, as well as damage to third-party property. The insurance can cover compensation payments and legal costs if someone sues you because they've been injured or their property has been damaged due to your artistic activities.

What is Professional Indemnity insurance?

Professional Indemnity insurance helps protect you if a client claims there is a problem with your work. This type of insurance covers compensation costs and legal fees if a client takes legal action against you for issues such as:

  • Professional negligence or mistakes in your work.
  • Loss of documents or data.
  • Breach of intellectual property rights.
  • Defamation or libel.

This insurance is especially important for artists, makers, and art professionals who provide advice, designs, or services to clients, ensuring you are protected against potential legal disputes arising from your art activities.

Does the insurance cover international exhibitions, events, or performances?

Public and Product Liability insurance covers claims in the EU, and Professional Indemnity insurance is worldwide excluding the USA and Canada. However, specific coverage for international exhibitions or events should be confirmed with Axis to ensure all necessary precautions are taken.

What does the legal helpline include?

The insurance policy provides access to a legal advice helpline to assist in the day-to-day running of your artistic practice. This helpline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and offers expert advice on various legal issues, including:

  • Employment
  • Prosecutions
  • Discrimination in the workplace
  • Health & safety
  • European law

This service ensures you have the best advice when facing legal issues, whether they arise at home or abroad.

Does the insurance cover working with heat?

Yes, the insurance covers someone working with heat, but you must follow specific fire precautions and safety measures to ensure coverage. These precautions include:

  1. Keeping a fire extinguisher available for immediate use.
  2. Removing all combustible materials from the immediate vicinity of the work. If these materials cannot be removed, they must be covered with a proprietary solder mat or non-combustible blanket or screen.
  3. Lighting equipment for as short a time as possible before use and extinguishing it immediately after use.
  4. Never leaving lighted equipment unattended.
  5. Conducting a thorough examination in the vicinity of the work after the termination of each day’s operations. If you cannot complete this examination, you should arrange with the occupier to carry out the examination.

Additionally, members must ensure:

  • Conducting risk assessments before using any heat application equipment.
  • Using safe and well-maintained equipment.
  • The insurance does not cover industrial or commercial activities involving the application of heat.

Members working with heat are encouraged to check with Axis to confirm their specific activities are covered under the insurance policy.

Does the insurance cover damage to my artwork?

No, the insurance does not cover damage to your artwork. If you need coverage for damage, loss, or theft of your artwork, materials, or equipment, you would need to purchase a separate insurance policy.

Does the insurance cover personal accidents?

No, the insurance does not cover personal accidents or injuries that happen to you. It only covers third-party claims related to your artistic activities.

Does the insurance cover my employees or volunteers?

No, the insurance does not cover any claims related to injuries or issues involving people who work or volunteer for you. You would need Employers’ Liability insurance for such coverage.

Are there specific activities that the insurance does not cover?

Yes, the insurance does not cover certain activities, including:

  • Tattooing, face painting, body painting
  • Toiletries, makeup/cosmetics, household goods
  • Flower arranging/floristry, toys, pet accessories, food items, packaging
  • Activities involving actors, singers, or musicians
How do I sign up for your insurance?

To get the insurance, sign up for our Associate membership here.

How much is your insurance?

Our insurance is a benefit of Professional and Associate membership (subject to eligibility). Membership fees start from £2.50 per month or £25 per year.

Why does it cost so little?

As a Charity, we’ve teamed up with Hiscox and taken out a special policy. By dividing the total cost of the policy among all our members, we reduce the cost.

Does your insurance cover theft of my equipment?

No, our insurance does not currently cover theft of artworks or equipment.

Can I add additional cover to the existing policy?

No, due to the group nature of the policy, you can't amend or add additional cover to it. If you need extra coverage, you would need to purchase a separate insurance policy.

Does the insurance cover me for selling my art/craft items in a shop and online?

The insurance covers online sales of your artwork or items related to your art practice. For shop sales, Product Liability insurance covers injuries or damages caused by your items. However, Public Liability insurance for the shop itself should fall under the shop’s insurance policy.

Can artists based outside of the UK join as a Professional or Associate Member and be covered by the insurance?

Anyone can join as a Professional (by application) or Associate member, but to be eligible for insurance cover, you must be based in the UK or have a permanent UK address.

Does your insurance include Employers’ Liability insurance?

No, it does not cover anyone who works or volunteers for you.

Does your insurance cover me when I'm installing work in a public space?

Yes, it covers you during installation. The venue should be responsible after the installation.

How do I get my insurance documentation?

You can download it from your member dashboard.

Does your insurance cover businesses, organisations, or groups of artists?

No, our insurance only covers individual artists.


Membership Charter

Membership Frequently Asked Questions

Knowledge base

Guide to Professional Indemnity for Artists and Art Professionals

Become a member

We support our members with: insurance, networks, space, opportunities, R&D awards, profiling, advice and mentoring.
Become a member